Monday, February 20, 2012

Family Day 2012

Well today is Family Day in Ontario Canada, a Provincial holiday and after working yesterday my Family Day is going to be spent curled up with the computer or the remote for the T.V. The other half isn’t feeling too great so I’m just going to enjoy a day of REST and RELAXATION! I was invited to attend the Family Day spaghetti dinner down at the centre and I was seriously thinking about going, but the couch and fluffy blanket seemed to have bowled over that idea. During my shifts at the centre yesterday I had a chat (well more than 1 chat) with the gentleman who is in charge of setting up this function. There is a lot of work involved that’s for sure. He had spent most of Saturday and all of Sunday at the center baking the deserts. He had to make more than a few runs to the grocery store to pick up extra supplies. I guess next year things will be planned differently! The dinner I’m sure will be yummy as a Chef from a neighbourhood restaurant “Over Easy” will be preparing the meal. Everything will be made from scratch! Apparently they are expecting in and around 300 people. This gentleman and I spent more than a few chats throughout the 2 shifts that I worked yesterday laughing and joking around. It’s so good to be able to feel the laughter and fun times once again down at the centre and guess what? There was no talk of what had transpired over the last few months, what a welcome relief that was!!

I was debating on going to the Centre of town “
Harmony Square
” for the Ice Sculpture carving, but again the couch seemed to win over that idea as well. With the kids all grown and out of the house, they all have their own plans leaving this house to a quiet day! Some people have to keep themselves busy as they walk through life, but me…I’m a bit different. I have come to realize that if you don’t stop and smell the roses, then you are actually missing out on one of the best things in life.

This morning I chatted with a very dear friend on FaceBook about my next trip North this coming summer. I am so glad I went last summer since the bonding that happened between us was one of best experiences that I have had.

People come into your life for a reason, a season, or a lifetime. When you figure out which one it is, you will know what to do for each person.

We met in our first year of high school and even though our lives took unexpected twists and turns and gossip and misunderstandings dominated our adulthood we spent a week last summer reconnecting. This saying really rings true to me because over the course of the last 6 years I have had a few people come into my life for the reason of loneliness and few have seen me through a season of casual friendships while some have stuck by me through thick and thin. Never judging me or expecting me to be someone I’m not. Allowing me to grow, fall, have meltdowns and being a strong shoulder to lean on. We all have our times when the rest of the world turns their back on us, but a real friend will always know there truly is a reason why we are unhappy. Family doesn’t always have to be connected by blood, they can be connect by the inner soul as well.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that a friendship that has weathered storms and came out stronger than ever are the most precious. I'm hoping for another summer of fun :)