Sunday, May 17, 2009

Check or Fold?????????





The wind was strong as the frosty air started to blanket the darkening city. The music was playing quietly in the back ground with the 2 gentle giants keeping watch over the room. I tried not to flinch as the pile began to grow in the middle of the table. I was getting good at keeping the others from reading my expressions, but I wasn’t sure how long I could keep it up. I knew this could be it for me. I could either come out ahead or I’d lose everything. All eyes seemed to be watching me, waiting for some kind of reaction. This was it. It was my turn. I looked up and smiled as I slowly pushed my bid into the middle of the table. I was risking it all, but I had no choice. Hopefully they wouldn’t sense the fear that lurked just behind my eyes. I swallowed hard just as the person beside me groaned and threw down his hand and pushed away from the table. The person next to him decided to withdraw as well and folded. That left only 2 of us. He continued to stare at me and pushed another bid into the middle. I had gone to far, but it was to late to turn back. I smiled and pushed my bid next to his. Ironically Kenny Rogers began to croon out “You got to know when to hold em. Know when to fold em. Know when to walk away and know when to run…” I never took my eyes off of his. He tried to stare me down, but I held strong. Finally he moved. Even the gentle giants felt his disappointment and looked up curiously as he shook his head and finally decided to fold. I smiled and exhaled the breath that had been building up inside my lungs. I reached to the middle of the table and pulled the pot towards me. I couldn’t believe what I had just accomplished. I had nothing in my hand. It was totally useless, yet I once again bluffed my way through it. I looked at the time and declared that it was late and I had to get home. I smiled proudly as I gathered up my winnings and carefully filled my money-bag (I’m so glad the Glad invented the zip-lock baggies). With hugs and kisses exchanged between everyone I slipped into the frosty night air a few pounds heavier than when I first arrived. I’ll be the first to admit that “draw poker” between good friends makes for a very fun night!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn you are good girl!