Saturday, April 12, 2014

2014 A-Z Blogging Challenge……….11th of 26 Pet Peeves


My Pet Peeve for the Letter K
 
 
K is for un-popped popcorn kernels


The greatest snack food, well at least for me is popcorn. I remember my mom standing over the stove with the burner beat red shaking a covered pot back and forth. Soon I would hear the sounds of the corn popping and that delicious smell filling the house.

Then Jiffy Pop was introduced and I loved watching the flat piece of tin growing into a huge dome as the kernels popped. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When I was on my own, I purchased the hot air popcorn machine and when that phased out I became more modern and used the easy and convenient microwave popcorn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
During the revolution of making popcorn something never changed. The amount of un-popped kernels left at the bottom. It really is frustrating, especially with the microwave popcorn, when the bag puffs up, the last couple of pops can be heard, the wonderful smell fills the house and you open the bag to only a half filled bag of popcorn. You pour it into a bowl and the remaining half of the popcorn lay scalding hot, un-popped at the bottom of the bag. I have read that the un-popped kernels have been nick-named old maids or spinsters. What a very unbecoming but accurate name for those stubborn kernels that refuse to puff up into  a delicious pieces of popcorn
 

4 comments:

Helen Baggott said...

Instead of calling myself a spinster,I think I'll call myself an 'un-popped' person!

D..J. Kirkby said...

I love eating popcorn! I grew up in Canada but now live in England and I used to have to get supplies of popcorn sent over from back home, but now they sell it over here. Phew.

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

For all our technology, some things never change. Love the idea of sharing pet peaves! AtoZing with you at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

Andrea said...

I hate it when I insist on trying to eat the unpopped kernels, or don't see them, and nearly break a tooth!